Monday 27 October 2008

Kick Start

I thought I would try blogging. Every man (and woman) under the sun seems to be committing their thoughts to papers, so I may as well join the fun.

The other day at work I was chatting to an old associate. We were talking politics. He is an old style lawyer who has taught me a lot about times past. I am embarking on my career and he is coming to the end of his. He often tells how different life in the office was when he started - no emails, no faxes, one page leases, simple missives, long boozy lunches and barbaric judges in court on a Friday morning. Some would say, the good old days...

He also tells of an era where politics was different. A time when Cabinet Ministers had mistresses and drink problems, but a time when the media felt no need to report it all and where private life meant life which was private, Changed days - well, in some respects anyway.

It was during this discussion that made me think I should start a diary. We moved on to talk about the diaries of Lord Donoghue. He was head of the Policy Unit of the Number 10 of Messrs Wilson and Callaghan. The associate made the comparison to the Alastair Campbell diaries. One set were published at a time when most of those mentioned were off the scene. The other set were written with a view to publication immediately. Whatever one's views are, the thought of note keeping in such a manner obviously has attractions.

My intention is to put to paper (does this count as "putting to paper"??) my thoughts on issues of the day. Whether they be legal, political, social, economic etc. It may be that in 6 months time, I will regret having placed my head above the parapet in such a manner. It may be that in 3 weeks time, I get bored blogging and give up. Or it may be that I will be able to look back at my views and shake my head at the foolishness of youth. Who knows. All I can say is that I start out with good intentions and that I reserve the right to chop and change my mind on any issue I put my thoughts down on.

I hope that this will be the start of a long and happy relationship

No comments: